Programs & Areas of Study
Arts Infused Curriculum
The academic program at the CREC Ana Grace Academy of the Arts Elementary Magnet School integrates the arts into all aspects of the curriculum. The curriculum wraps higher order thinking skills around the academic disciplines which include vocal and instrumental music, visual arts, dance, theatre, creative writing, media and interdisciplinary arts (9 “majors”). The learning process demands hands-on, brains-on teaching and learning. It is the process through which the arts are naturally assimilated and learned. The arts become the lab for learning in all disciplines and for learning throughout life.
- The arts are part of each student’s schedule every day, taught by trained arts specialists and infused into classroom curriculum by the classroom teacher.
- Visiting artists plan long-term work with classes within the school and work to enhance the knowledge and skills from the currently taught arts curriculum.
- Measures of student learning include portfolios, student projects and performances.
- All disciplines are equally valued within the curriculum and the arts are considered academics, part of the core curriculum.
- Art products are the final result of the problem solving process. The school walls are a gallery of student produced art.
- Families and guests feel welcome in our school. Students are able to discuss what they are learning and why.
- Collaboration characterizes interactions within our school.