About Our School
We will be a center of excellence for science and technology through cutting-edge curriculum, an innovative approach to learning, and state-of-the-art technology.
Two Rivers Magnet Middle School is a dynamic and diverse science and technology-based learning community, centered within an environmental theme. Students are inspired and prepared to meet the challenges of the 21st century through a robust academic program where collaboration, innovation, and critical thinking skills ensure that our students will be college and career ready.
• We believe that our science, technology, and environmental themes are key components to developing 21st century learners who are college and career ready.
• We believe a diverse school community enriches learning and promotes respect for, and appreciation of, differences.
• We believe in instilling a sense of personal integrity, the foundation of a successful school community.
• We believe in cultivating environmentally conscious students, citizens, and future leaders.
• We believe success is dependent upon partnerships among students, staff, families, and the community.
• We believe in an educational community where everyone chooses to bring energy, passion, and a positive attitude.
• We believe in an education tailored to meet the individual needs of each student.
• We believe fostering teacher growth and effectiveness is directly linked to student achievement.
Hands-On Learning Opportunities
As part of the NASA Explorer School network, students participate in a variety of video conferences and learning experiences with astronauts, rocket scientists, and engineers from NASA and industry partners. During their school experience, students collaborate with CREC partner schools, Greater Hartford Academy of Math & Science and Glastonbury-East Hartford Magnet School, to make connections across the K-12 spectrum. Students collect and analyze water samples from the Long Island Sound, as well as the Connecticut and Hockanum Rivers and our pond in our Oceanology and Freshwater Ecology classes. Students may also choose to participate in our Cape Cod Research Weekend, in which students submit proposals for field studies on the shores of Cape Cod, then camp for a weekend and collect data on their topics.
Two Rivers Recognitions
2014 Awarded "School of Excellence" by Magnet Schools of America
2014 Awarded as the Winner for the Connecticut Green Leaf School
2012 Two Rivers students invited to the NASA Student Symposium at the Johnson Space Center
2012 CT State Invention Convention Winners
2011 CT State Invention Convention Winners
2011 New England Math League ranks Two Rivers 3rd in the Region
2011 Two Rivers students invited to the NASA Student Symposium at the Kennedy Space Center
2011 National Science Bowl 5th Place
2010 Two Rivers teachers invited to the National Teachers Council for Mathematics
2009 Two Rivers recognized by ConnCAN as a Success Story School
2009 New England Mathematics League Top Schools
2009 Two Rivers students invited by NASA to the Johnson Space Center
2009 Southern New England Middle School Science Bowl Top Honors
2008 University of Connecticut Middle School Science Bowl Academic Champion, 2nd Place
2003 Metal Architecture Award
- State-of-the-art facility designed to enhance the school's curriculum, includes complete, indoor Project Adventure Course
- Laptop computers supplied to each student and teacher
- Comprehensive curriculum emphasizes high standards and uses a multi-disciplinary approach.
- iPad carts
- Backdoor access to the Connecticut and Hockanum Rivers, as well as a pond in front of our school, for aquatic field studies.